Frequently Asked Questions :: Admissions :: Northwest College
Campus Map  |   Directory  |   Calendar  |   News  |   Jobs  |   A-Z Index  |   Apply to NWC

Your future, our focus


Frequently Asked Questions


I submitted my application for admission... how long does it take to process?

You should hear from us within two weeks of the date you submit your application. Often times it may be sooner, but during busy times of the year it may take a full two weeks. After you receive your log-in information, you can check your application status here.

When can I apply for admission?

We encourage students to apply at least two months prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll, however, applications will be accepted anytime prior to the start of a semester.

How do I apply for admission to Northwest College?

Applying online is easy. The first step is to create an account.

I am going to or have received my GED, are the steps the same for me?

The steps are very similar. In your application, you'll submit your GED test scores in place of a transcript. See  Step 2.

What other information do I need to provide to be considered for acceptance?

  • High School or College Transcripts
  • Immunization Records
  • Student Health Form
  • ACT, SAT, or Compass scores
  • Select who you are on this page to see complete admissions requirements
I am considering transferring from another college to Northwest, what are the steps I need to take to make that happen?

Transfer students follow these steps to apply. If you have completed fewer than 15 college credits, we will need both your high school and college transcripts. If you have completed more than 15 college credits, your college transcript is all that's required.

When will I find out if I have been accepted to NWC?

After your application and transcripts are submitted, you'll be notified within two weeks regarding your acceptance. You can log into your account here

I received my acceptance letter in the mail — how and when do I register for classes?

You can register on your own, or you can get help registering by making an appointment or attending a new student registration day.

Are the requirements the same if I am a home schooled student?

Yes. Home schooled students must submit an application and their home school transcript to be considered for admission.

Do you have an application fee?

We do not have any fees associated with the application...It's free.

What are your admissions requirements?

You'll find all your particular admissions requirements by identifying and then following the description here that fits you.

Financial Aid

Do my work study earnings go to my student account?

Both Federal and Institutional employment earnings are paid in monthly checks to the student based on the hours worked during that pay period. You have the check to use to pay your bills and use as you need.

Do you need my federal and state tax returns?

Students whose applications are selected for verification will be required to submit certain documentation to the Northwest College FAO. Please see our Verification page on the Financial Aid portion of the college website for specific details.

How do I contact the IRS?

Visit or call Toll-Free, 1-800-908-9946.

Should I report my parent's income information on the FAFSA?

You must include parent information when you complete the FAFSA unless you are considered independent student.

See next question for requirements on being considered an independent student.

What are the requirements for being considered an independent student?

If you can answer "yes" to any of these questions, you are considered independent and do not need parent information when completing the FAFSA:

  • Will you be 24 years old by January 1st of the award year?
  • Are you working on a MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate or degree?
  • As of today (the day you complete the FAFSA) are you married?
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013? (Child Support counts as support)
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2013?
  • Are (a) both of your parents deceased, or (b) are you (or were you until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for the purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Are you or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • Are you or were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did your high school or school district homeless liason determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

If you can't answer "yes"  to ANY of these questions then you are dependent and need to use parent information when completing the FAFSA. If you have not lived with parents for a number of years, or it is impossible to get their information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Can students find jobs on or near campus? / How can I find an on-campus job?

Off Campus

Many local businesses employ NWC students part-time.   Check with the Office of Work-Based Learning, read the Powell Tribune "Help Wanted" ads or check with local employers in-person.

On Campus

You can get a listing of Student Job positions and print the application, on campus on your 'My NWC' portal at the beginning of the fall semester on Walk-in Registration Day.  You can also visit our Student Jobs web page (under Types of Aid) to download the application and get additional information.

What is Northwest College's Title IV School code?


My financial aid is contingent on receipt of additional documents or information. Does that mean my financial aid award could change?

If the information submitted on the FAFSA is determined to be incorrect from the information we have requested, you must make necessary corrections. Corrections may increase or decrease your financial aid.

I received a significantly better financial aid award from another college. Will NWC match the other college's award?

Not necessarily. Federal Pell Grant remains the same amount at all schools, for the same enrollment status (full-time, 3/4-time, 1/2-time status). Other grants, loans, Federal Work-Study, and scholarships can vary based upon the school's cost of attendance, your enrollment status, your area of study/major, and the amount of funds the college has available to award. You should apply for everything you qualify for to receive the best financial aid award package you can receive.

What if my family's financial circumstances change in future years?

Contact the financial aid office at NWC to discuss a Special Consideration Appeal based on the specific changes.

I'm expecting to receive outside scholarships. How will these affect my financial aid and scholarship totals?

If your financial aid awards for the academic year exceed your Cost of Attendance, NWC scholarship funding will be reduced.

Outside scholarships may decrease the amount of student loan you qualify for. Also, If you are a Wyoming student with the Hathaway Scholarship, the amount of Hathaway may be decreased if you have more financial aid than the COA.

Can my award change?

Yes, if you change your living arrangements (i.e.,at home with parents, to on-campus), change your enrollment status (i.e.,full-time to 3/4-time), or withdraw from or fail a class. Check with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships before you make a change to determine if it will affect your aid.

How do I apply for a student loan?

NWC does not automatically package student loans, so you may not see one on your award letter. If you indicate on the FAFSA that you are interested in borrowing a student loan, we send you information on how to apply.  You may also apply online at

Once you have completed the Stafford MPN application we will request the lender to send the funds to NWC.

When will the loans I've accepted on my award letter be credited to my account?

Loan funds are credited directly to your student account. If you are a first-time borrower, the funds will be available to you 30 days after the first day of class. If you've borrowed previously at NWC and your file is complete and awarded; the funds will be available on the walk-in registration day, or approximately two weeks after you've completed the MPN.

When will I receive my financial aid award letter

Completing the financial aid process from beginning to end takes time. Each student's actual processing time will depend upon when you apply and how quickly you respond to requests from our office. The process normally takes 12 to 16 weeks from completing the FAFSA to receiving an Award Letter.

How do I read my financial aid Award Letter?

If you are eligible for financial aid, we will mail you an award letter stating terms and conditions of aid programs for which you are eligible. The award letter will tell you the estimated cost of attendance for the period of enrollment, the estimated family contribution (EFC) and the types and amounts of aid you are awarded. Carefully read the award letter and all materials included. If you accept the award(s) offered, sign one copy as directed, return it to the FAO, and retain one copy for your records. If your status changes in any way, you should notify our office immediately so we can determine if your eligibility is affected. If your eligibility changes within an academic year, you may receive a revised award letter advising you of the increase/decrease in funding.

Will my financial aid package be the same every year?

No. Financial aid is subject to change each year based on a variety of factors;

  • FAFSA information and/or formula changes
  • Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) number from FAFSA
  • Cost of attendance
  • Other types & amounts of aid or scholarships you are awarded
  • Enrollment status changes
  • Satisfactory academic progress standing
Is there a financial aid appeal process?

On a case-by-case basis, the Financial Aid Office may allow exceptions to the standards (SAP appeal) through the Appeal Process. Students must file an appeal petition explaining extenuating circumstances, with written documentation supporting the appeal.

Students may request a waiver of the maximum time frame requirement by filing a Maximum Time Frame Appeal/Second Undergraduate Degree Petition. Appeal petitions are available in the Financial Aid Office (Orendorff Building, Room 104) or online. Petitions will be reviewed and written response will be mailed to the student.

What if I haven't received an award letter or my aid isn't enough to cover costs by the payment deadline?

Payment fees day is the first day of classes each semester.  If you have not been awarded at this point or your aid is not enough to cover your costs you can set up a payment plan.

Payment plans can be arranged with Tuition Management Systems by calling 1-800-356-8329 or going on line to .

Still have an unanswered question?

If your question wasn't answered here, do not hestitate to contact the Financial Aid Office at or by calling 307.754.6158 or Toll Free: 800.560.4692, ext 6158

Who Receives Financial Aid?

Students who show need qualify for need-based grants (Pell and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants) and College Work Study. Any student can borrow a Stafford Loan; Subsidized is need-based and interest free while the student is enrolled at least 1/2 time; Unsubsidized Stafford loan is not need-based and anyone enrolled at least 1/2 time can borrow this loan.

Who is eligible to receive federal financial aid?

To be eligible to receive federal financial aid you must

  • Have a high school diploma,GED or a home school certificate 
  • Be accepted for admission as a regular student in a degree program (or select certificate program) offered by Northwest College. Contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if your intended program qualifies for financial aid
  • Usually, be enrolled at least half time (Pell Grants are available to eligible students enrolled less than half time.) You must be at least half time to take out Student Loans, or be eligible for FSEOG or Work Study
  • Have a Social Security Number
  • Register with Selective Service, if required (males only)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or national, or a permanent resident of the U.S.
  • Be a citizen of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands; or be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose
  • Not receive aid from another institution for the same period of enrollment
  • Not be in default or owe a repayment on any Title IV federal financial aid
How are my parents' and my own expected contribution determined?

Cost of Attendance (COA) is based on government guidelines and average costs. A COA for Pell Grant includes allowance for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. COA for Campus-Based funds (FSEOG, FWS, & Direct Loans) include the above plus transportation and personal expenses. COA can only include costs of attendance for the student. Additional living allowances for married students or additional family members are not included in student budgets.

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward your college costs. It includes a student contribution for all students and a parent contribution for dependent students. The EFC is calculated from the information provided on your FAFSA and reflects the amount the government believes you and your family can afford. In some cases, the EFC may be zero. If you do not believe your EFC accurately reflects your family's ability to pay for your education, due to a change in family or financial circumstances, contact the FAO.

What can we do if my parents are unable to meet the parent contribution?

The parent contribution is an estimate of the amount the parent can provide to assist a student during the academic year. The contribution could be in the form of a monthly amount for spending money, paying the student's car insurance, etc. The parent can take out a Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan) if funds are needed to assist a student in paying for items in the COA (see previous question)

How is my financial aid eligibility determined?

For financial aid purposes, financial need is determined by the following formula:

How Eligibility is Calculated:
   Cost of Attendance
- Expected Family Contribution
   Financial Need

Cost of Attendance (COA) is based on government guidelines and average costs. A COA for Pell Grant includes allowance for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. COA for Campus-Based funds (FSEOG, FWS, & Direct Loans) include the above plus transportation and personal expenses. COA can only include costs of attendance for the student. Additional living allowances for married students or additional family members are not included in student budgets.

How much can I expect to make at a Federal Work-Study or NWC Student Employment job?

NWC pays all student employees at least the hourly federal minimum wage.  Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week, in all positions combined. 

Do I have to pay taxes on the money I earn through Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study and Student Employment are just like any other job. You may have to pay taxes on your earnings. You should estimate how much you will earn during the academic year and the summer and then complete the W-4 form so that you have the appropriate federal income taxes withheld if needed.

Housing & Dining Services

Do I need to be a full time student to live on campus?

Housing priority is given to students enrolled in 9 or more credit hours; however, students enrolled in less than 9 credit hours are welcome to live on campus on a space-available basis and provided that disciplinary problems do not occur.

Do I have to live on campus?

All students under the age of 21 who are enrolled in 9 or more credit hours are required to live on campus for their first two semesters at Northwest College. The residency requirement may be waived if you are over 21, married, have children or dependants, are living with your parents in Park County, or have lived on campus for a year at another college or university. Waiver forms are available at the Residence Life Office and must be approved by the Director of Residence and Campus Life.

How do I apply for housing?
  • You can start the process by filling out a housing contract, which serves as your housing application. This can be done either online or a hard copy can be picked up at the housing office in the Dewitt Student Center.
  • An application fee and deposit must also be made based on which residence hall you live in. Look up amounts on our Costs page.
  • There is no specific deadline for submitting your contract. However, the sooner you apply for housing, the more likely it is you will receive the room you want. The applications that arrive first will take priority.
Do I have to have a roommate?

Yes, in order to ensure that everyone who applies to Northwest College Housing has a place to stay we do require that all freshmen have a roommate. Students needing a single room for ADA-approved purposes must contact the Housing Office and provide appropriate documentation.

Can I bring alcohol on campus?

No. Northwest College is a “dry campus,” meaning that alcohol is prohibited in the residence halls, academic buildings, parking lots, or any other area of college property, regardless of your age.

What services/amenities are included in my housing fees?
  • Free Parking
  • Computer Labs with printers (you must provide your own paper) in each hall. Macs are available in Lewis and Clark Hall
  • Coin-Operated Laundry Facilities
  • Expanded Basic Cable Service (you must provide your own TV and
  • coaxial cable)
  • High-Speed Internet (Ethernet ports are available in each residence hall room, Wireless Internet access is also available)
  • Study Lounges and Game Rooms in each hall
  • Community kitchens are available in each hall with sink, stove, and microwave
Am I required to have a meal plan?

Yes, Northwest College requires that all students living on campus to have a Meal Plan. Students may change from one meal plan to another during the first five class days ONLY. Flex Bucks, which may be used in the Dining Hall or the 7th Street Grille, are non-refundable and must be used within the semester purchased.

What are the Meal Plan Options & Costs?

There are a variety of meal plan options with different costs.

How do you pick my roommate?

All students living in our residence halls fill out a Living Preference Worksheet that helps us better place you with the qualities you are looking for in a roommate. Although we do our best to match you with someone you can build a friendship with, staff is available to help mediate conflict or make adjustments if things do not work out.

What hall/community is best for me?

All of the halls have individually unique communities. The way to becoming involved in these communities is by making yourself visible. Every successful community is built on active involvement. Your college experience will be much more enjoyable the more you become involved in your college community.

How safe is Northwest College?

Northwest College strives to maintain a safe environment for our students. Security measures are in place for the residence halls (24 hour locked entry, staff, desk hours, hall policies, etc). NWC’s campus provides both a Campus Resource Officer and Night Security. Campus Security can provide walks to and from various locations around campus as well as making sure that the campus is locked and secure during the evening.

How much does it cost to live on campus?

There are different costs based on what you want your Northwest College housing experience to look like. The easiest way answer this is to visit our cost breakdown page.

What are the advantages of living on campus?

Living on campus can be an amazing experience. Studies have shown a higher retention rate and better academic performance for students living on campus compared to those who don’t. Additionally, when you live in the residence halls, you begin to make life decisions that create your future and shape the person you want to be. You have the opportunity to live with a dynamic group of students and staff while living in the halls. Being on campus also allows close access to classes and activities and keeps you in “the loop.” Living on campus you will find more to do, more to learn, more memories to make, and more life experiences to acquire.

International Students

Is Northwest College recognized?

Yes, Northwest College is a fully accredited public institution. Credits earned at Northwest College are recognized and can be transferred to universities and colleges all over the U.S. Please refer to our Graduation & Transfer page for more information.

How will my student be able to pay for his tuition, housing, meals, books, etc.?

This is very easy. Once the student is accepted, if you request it, we will send an account number for a local bank. You can transfer funds to Northwest College through the bank. Or, if you prefer, students can pay with credit cards (VISA or Mastercard) once they arrive on campus. There is also an ATM machine on campus and several banks within easy walking distance of the campus. Students pay their fees one semester at a time, not for the whole year.

Are there buses and trains? How will my student go shopping or get to the airport or around the campus?

Wyoming does not have a public transportation system. Most people have cars. In fact, it is very easy and inexpensive to get a driver's license in Wyoming. However, Northwest College is located within easy walking and biking distance of banks, post office, restaurants, grocery stores and movie theaters. Transportation to and from the airport is always easy to arrange through the college at no cost to the student. Residence Halls and student apartments are located on or near the campus. Students can even rent bicycles at no cost through the NWC Recreational Co-op.

How can I keep in touch with my family member?

This is not a problem. Every dorm room is equipped with a phone connection and is wired for high-speed internet. You can purchase a phone for your room or a cell phone. You can also bring your own computer, although computers are available to students throughout the campus. Students also have private mailboxes in their dorms.

What if my student gets sick or needs health care?

Northwest College has a professional Physician's Assistant on campus to attend to student needs. This service is free for the students. If necessary, the Physician's Assistant can refer students to specialists in town. Powell also has an excellent, nationally recognized hospital with specialized doctors. There are two pharmacies in town. All international students, however, are required to have or to purchase additional health insurance because health care in the U.S. is very expensive.

Does my student have to buy health insurance or can s/he use the insurance we have from our country?

We are happy to accept your insurance if you can provide us with an English translation and if it covers any sickness or injury your student might sustain while attending Northwest College. It must also have a repatriation clause. If we approve your policy, then you do not have to purchase our insurance.

I have heard that Wyoming is very cold and gets a lot of snow. What clothes will my student need and how will s/he survive?

While Wyoming does see some very low temperatures (see our Area Introduction page for information on weather and landscape), our winters are comparable to any other area in the northern United States. Even in February, the temperatures can be very mild (10°C/50 °F). As it is very dry and sunny, the snow doesn't usually stay on the ground for very long, except in the mountains. We take the students shopping as soon as they arrive to buy any clothing and supplies they might need. We have found that students adapt to the climate and often miss it when they leave.

Registration & Records

How do obtain my Student ID card?

Student ID cards can be obtained by new students at the Registrar's Office when classes begin.

How do I register for classes?
  • Attend a New Student Registration and Orientation.
  • Contact the Enrollment Services Office to set up an individual appointment (307) 754-6101.
  • Returning students can register with their advisor or through the MyNWC student portal.
I completed college classes while I was in high school, how do I transfer my credits to Northwest?

Simply, request your transcript be sent from the college you completed the class(es) through to Northwest College. Many colleges/universities have a form on their website called "Request a Transcript" for you to complete.


I forgot my username and/or password for the scholarship application. What do I do?

No problem! Just call 307-754-6080 to have your username and password resent to you. If you can remember your NWC ID, you can reset your password here.

When will I know how much I get in scholarships?

You can see immediately your minimum Trapper Scholarship award by using the chart for Wyoming or out-of state students to determine your award level. You can add to this total by attending Scholarship Day.

What does "Trapper Provider" mean?

Your Trapper Scholarship package is made up of individual academic, activity-talent and privately funded scholarships. A Trapper Provider is one of these individual scholarships used to fund your Trapper Scholarship. When you complete your scholarship application, you're  automatically applied for most Trapper Providers. A few Trapper Providers require extra information from you. If you're eligible for these, you'll see a list of "Recommended Opportunities" when you finish the general application.

Are Private Donor Scholarships added on top of my Trapper Scholarship?

No. Think of your Trapper Scholarship as a package of Private Donor Scholarships. You may receive several Private Donor Scholarships, but they'll all come to you in a single Trapper Scholarship award.

You can add Academic and Activity-Talent Scholarships on top of your Trapper Scholarship.

Students receiving Athletic Scholarships (excluding Rodeo and Soccer) cannot accept Trapper Scholarships.

© Northwest College is an EOI | Consumer Information & Disclosures | Privacy Policy | Linking Policy | Gainful Employment | For Faculty & Staff
Northwest College