Academic & Career Advising Center
Your job shadowing experience(s) may result from one or more of your informational interviews or from other sources. However you secure a job shadow arrangement, use it to your advantage.
Job shadowing can
- Provide you with the real picture of what a job is like from day-to-day.
- Allow you to see whether or not you think you would enjoy that particular job or one very similar.
You may find out that a field is perfect for you or not suited to you at all. When you job shadow, you will spend a working day, or half a working day, with a contact that you have established. You will be able to observe the work environment, duties, etc. that come with that job.
Be sure to
- Make your arrangements well in advance and don't pressure your contact into saying yes.
- Use your persuasive abilities to convince your contact to provide you with this educational opportunity.
- Reassure him/her that you would not interfere with the daily routine of the organization, but only observe.
Download this worksheet to document your job shadow experience.