Campus Map  |   Directory  |   Calendar  |   News  |   Jobs  |   A-Z Index  |   Apply to NWC

Your future, our focus

Northwest College

Intercultural Programs

Current International Students

Immigration (F1 rules, OPT/CPT)

F-1 Student Visa

Upon your acceptance to Northwest College, the Office for Intercultural Programs (OIP) issued you a SEVIS 1-20 Form (Certificate of Eligibility). This allowed you to apply for a student F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.  The F-I student entry-visa is stamped inside your passport. With this visa, you may leave and re-enter the United States as many times as you wish during your stay, provided you have:

  1. A valid passport;
  2. A valid multiple-entry student visa;
  3. A current I-20 Form from Northwest College dated and signed by the Intercultural Program Manager or Coordinator, the Career and Advising Coordinator or the Administrative Secretary for Academic Affairs.

There are many rules to follow regarding your F-1 visa. It is important that you understand these rules and follow them with care so that you can remain in status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please contact the OIP if you have any questions about what you can and/or cannot do with your F-1 student visa.   

To read some of the basic F-1 student visa rules, click here.

Form I-20

Form I-94

Form I-94 is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Arrival/Departure Record issued to aliens who are admitted to the U.S.

As of April 2013, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has automated Form I-94 at air and sea ports. This means that you will no longer be provided with a paper form upon arrival to the U.S. (except in limited circumstances). Instead, you will be provided with a CBP admission stamp either in your passport or on your I-20. If you need a paper version of the I-94 admission number for verification of alien registration, immigration status or employment authorization or to apply for a social security number or a driver's license go to

SEVIS Registration

All entering students to Northwest College, as well as returning students, must be registered with  USCIS every semester.  The Office for Intercultural Programs will register students within 30 days of arrival at NWC. Failure to enroll at NWC by the program start date listed on your Form I-20 will result in termination of your Form I-20.

All students must provide their address and contact information in the U.S. to OIP upon arrival. If and every time you change your address or phone number you must notify OIP within 10 days so we can update your registration with USCIS.

Visa Expiration Date

All students should be aware that passports and visas have expiration dates. Once you are in the United States, your entry-visa may expire. This will not have any consequences to you, since you have already entered the U.S.  However, if you leave the United States with an expired visa, you must apply for a new one before you can return. Check with OIP if you have questions about this.

Student Responsibility

You are responsible for maintaining all official documents such as passport, visa, I-20, etc. OIP will advise and assist you as well as provide you with forms and documents you may need. If you lose your passport or any other important documents, notify OIP immediately.

You are also responsible for maintaining full-time student status while studying at Northwest. You must notify the OIP if you are transferring, taking a leave of absence or withdrawing.

You are also responsible for checking your email on a daily basis for important information, updates and workshops from OIP.


Emelee Volden
Intercultural Program Manager

Office: ORB129
Phone: (1) 307.754.6429


Amanda Enriquez
Intercultural Program Coordinator

Office: ORB 127
Phone: (1) 307.754.6424

Northwest College
Northwest College

© Northwest College | 231 West 6th Street | Powell, Wyoming, 82435 | 800.560.4692