SOS Search: Help
Help for SOS Search (ExLibris' Primo service)
Please enable cookies on your computer to take advantage of all available content.
SOS Search allows you to find sources across most of the library databases and the library’s catalog of books, audiovisual materials, etc. A few, unfortunately, are not available through this service. Choose from the drop-down menu for the search that best suits your needs.
Red Arrows identify three types of searches:
- All That You Need (Databases & Catalog)
Searches the vast majority of the library’s databases AND the Library Catalog (WYLDCAT).
- Articles & more (Databases)
Searches the vast majority of the library’s databases, including eBrary, ebooks.
- Books & more (Library Catalog)
Searches only content in the library catalog (WYLDCAT), including books, DVDs, music CDs, some online books, music scores, government documents and archives.
This feature allows you to keep track of resources that interest you while you are searching in SOS.
Highlight the star in each entry so that it shows yellow (gold) . Then click on the e_Shelf link at the upper right of the screen. At this screen, you can email, print, or push these citations to a citation generator.
Note: When you leave SOS, your e-shelf entries will be deleted. Your e-shelf cannot be saved.
- If a link does not move you to a resource or it stalls mid-transmission, close out SOS completely and then try again. Sometimes internet transmissions get “stuck” and a retry will get you what you need.
- You may need to try another browser such as Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer does not work as well.
- If a link gives you only abstract information and not full-text, try the link to another database. Still no full-text? It is time for an Interlibrary Loan request.
- On occasion you will be linked to the title of the periodical, not the article. When this happens you may have to search within the periodical title OR click through to the article that you need.
The Primo Help link provides some assistance with using SOS. A note of caution, however. There are several “features” NWC’s SOS Search does not provide. Please ignore the explanations for: BROWSE / Find Databases / Setting Up and Using an Account. These are not available.
If you have questions, please contact us. (email@example.com)